- Jeremy Corbyn: Tories failing homeless children and poverty-stricken families https://welfareweekly.com/jeremy-corbyn-tories-failing-homeless-children-and-poverty-stricken-families/
- Half of private landlords say tenants on Universal Credit have rent arrears https://welfareweekly.com/half-of-private-landlords-say-tenants-on-universal-credit-have-rent-arrears/
- 130,000 families forced to live in one bed flats due to chronic social housing shortage https://welfareweekly.com/130000-families-forced-to-live-in-one-bed-flats-due-to-chronic-social-housing-shortage/
- Paralympian supports disability charity at ‘Superhero Triathlon’ https://welfareweekly.com/paralympian-supports-disability-charity-at-superhero-triathlon/
- Homeless children forced to live in shipping containers, report says https://welfareweekly.com/homeless-children-forced-to-live-in-shipping-containers-report-says/
- UK pensioners ‘suffering the worst poverty rate in western Europe’ https://welfareweekly.com/uk-pensioners-suffering-the-worst-poverty-rate-in-western-europe/
- Housing associations demand major Universal Credit changes https://welfareweekly.com/housing-associations-demand-major-universal-credit-changes/
- A homeless person dies every 19 hours in austerity Britain https://welfareweekly.com/a-homeless-person-dies-every-19-hours-in-austerity-britain/
- 250,000 Universal Credit claimants hit by sanctions, DWP figures reveal https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-claimants-hit-by-sanctions-dwp-figures-reveal/
- Thousands sign petition calling on the DWP to scrap ‘ludicrous’ benefit rule https://welfareweekly.com/thousands-sign-petition-calling-on-the-dwp-to-scrap-ludicrous-benefit-rule/
- Nearly 250,000 Universal Credit claimants hit by sanctions, DWP figures reveal https://welfareweekly.com/nearly-250000-universal-credit-claimants-hit-by-sanctions-dwp-figures-reveal/
- Scotland launch new healthy eating benefit card for pregnant women and families with babies https://welfareweekly.com/scotland-launch-new-healthy-eating-benefit-card-for-pregnant-women-and-families-with-babies/
- Nearly 50,000 children in care let down by ‘inadequate’ council services https://welfareweekly.com/nearly-50000-children-in-care-let-down-by-inadequate-council-services/
- Mixed-age couples urged to claim benefits or lose out on up to £35,000 https://welfareweekly.com/mixed-age-couples-urged-to-claim-benefits-or-lose-out-on-up-to-35000/
- Capita drops court appeal over benefit claimant death https://welfareweekly.com/capita-drops-court-appeal-over-benefit-claimant-death/
- Government urged to write off Carer’s Allowance overpayment deb... https://welfareweekly.com/government-urged-to-write-off-carers-allowance-overpayment-debts/
- Universal Credit claimant ‘begging and eating out of bins’ afte... https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-claimant-begging-and-eating-out-of-bins-after-dwp-benefit-error/
- Surge in number of EU citizens wrongly refused Universal Credit... https://welfareweekly.com/surge-in-number-of-eu-citizens-wrongly-refused-universal-credit/
- Fury as benefit assessment firm heads to court to reverse ‘repu... https://welfareweekly.com/fury-as-benefits-assessment-firm-heads-to-court-to-reverse-reputational-damage/
- Government faces third legal challenge to Universal Credit migr... https://welfareweekly.com/government-faces-third-legal-challenge-to-universal-credit-migration-arrangements/
- Universal Credit claimants blocked from challenging DWP decisio... https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-claimants-blocked-from-challenging-dwp-decisions/
- 7 million people in the UK are ‘living in persistent poverty’, ... https://welfareweekly.com/7-million-brits-living-in-persistent-poverty-report-says/
- Tories ‘don’t care about poor people or the NHS’, Boris adviser... https://welfareweekly.com/tories-dont-care-about-poor-people-or-the-nhs-boris-adviser-admits/
- 161,000 families hit by ‘nasty’ Tory two-child benefit limit https://welfareweekly.com/161000-families-hit-by-nasty-tory-two-child-benefit-limit/
- Benefits stigma putting veterans off claiming after leaving arm... https://welfareweekly.com/benefits-stigma-putting-veterans-off-claiming-after-leaving-armed-forces/
- Charity worker jailed after stealing more that £50,000 from sev... https://welfareweekly.com/charity-worker-jailed-after-stealing-more-that-50000-from-severely-disabled-people/
- DWP advertising bill soars 700% in two years https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-advertising-bill-soars-700-in-two-years/
- Single dad killed himself after being driven into debt and home... https://welfareweekly.com/single-dad-killed-himself-after-being-driven-into-debt-and-homelessness-over-universal-credit-wait/
- DWP failed to compensate severely disabled people despite court... https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-failed-to-compensate-severely-disabled-people-despite-court-order/
- Universal Credit so deeply flawed it should ‘come with a health... https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-so-deeply-flawed-it-should-come-with-a-health-warning-say-mps/
- Boris Johnson offers an olive branch to WASPI women https://welfareweekly.com/boris-johnson-offers-an-olive-branch-to-waspi-women/
- Amber Rudd breaks camp and calls on next PM to end the benefit ... https://welfareweekly.com/amber-rudd-breaks-camp-and-calls-on-next-pm-to-end-the-benefit-freeze/
- High Court to hear Universal Credit minimum income floor case https://welfareweekly.com/high-court-to-hear-universal-credit-case-mif/
- Food banks fear busiest summer on record https://welfareweekly.com/food-banks-fear-busiest-summer-on-record/
- ‘Landmark’ Supreme Court judgement means thousands more could g... https://welfareweekly.com/landmark-supreme-court-judgment-means-thousands-more-could-get-disability-benefits/
- Amber Rudd orders review into benefits for the terminally ill –... https://welfareweekly.com/amber-rudd-orders-review-into-benefits-for-the-terminally-ill-but-it-may-never-be-completed/
- Scottish government announce advocacy help for benefit claimant... https://welfareweekly.com/scottish-government-announce-advocacy-help-for-benefit-claimants/
- DWP under fire over ‘missing’ benefit forms https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-under-fire-over-missing-benefit-forms/
- Theresa May announces new independent body to tackle ‘societal ... https://welfareweekly.com/theresa-may-announces-new-independent-body-to-tackle-societal-injustice/
- Think the UK has the most ‘generous’ disability benefits? Think... https://welfareweekly.com/think-the-uk-has-the-most-generous-disability-benefits-think-again/
Founded on #4opens and moderated by an ethical code of conduct. Its a safe space for Campaigning and NGO groups to access their members via #openweb projects.
"We can't engage as communities, unless we have money. I can't even express how angry this makes me."
- an activist group using Facebook. People and organisations who feel this way are our initial targets.
We are launching two new Mastodon instances for activists and campaigners to aid communication of grassroot groups; putting social media back in our hands by providing a free, unfettered home for campaigners, NGO’s and activists to communicate among their peers and beyond.
This project is a way out of the restricted, algorithmic, for-profit mediation and commercialisation of communication we increasingly experience. If you do not pay to "boost" each post, a Facebook page will only reach 3-6% of members. This soon becomes an expensive drain on limited NGO and activist budgets.
Activists and campaigners alike are ready to shift their outreach away from the corporate social networks paid-per-view “walled gardens”.
Mastodon is the worlds largest free open source decentralised microblogging network; it’s thousands of unique, interconnected communities, filled with different people, interests, languages, and needs.
You’re free to join any community you like, or better yet, host your own, on your own terms. It remains possible for members of each to instance to interact with others.
There is no monopoly by a single commercial company, no ads, and no tracking.
We aim to help activism/campaigning groups to make this step now.