- Homeless to be given ‘stab proof coats’ following surge in attacks against rough sleepers https://welfareweekly.com/homeless-to-be-given-stab-proof-coats-following-surge-in-attacks-against-rough-sleepers/
- Family left in unaffordable flat after council denies right to appeal homelessness decision https://welfareweekly.com/family-left-in-unaffordable-flat-after-council-denies-right-to-appeal-homelessness-decision/
- Universal Credit, Tax Credits, and Child Benefit payment dates over Easter 2019 https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-tax-credits-and-child-benefit-payment-dates-over-easter-2019/
- DWP letter to GPs deprives sick and disabled people of lifeline benefits support https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-letter-to-gps-deprives-sick-and-disabled-people-of-lifeline-benefits-support/
- Universal Credit claimants forced to engage in ‘survival sex’ for food and shelter https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-claimants-forced-to-engage-in-survival-sex-for-food-and-shelter/
- Tory energy cancellations risk leaving 20 million homes in the dark, warn Labour https://welfareweekly.com/tory-energy-cancellations-risk-leaving-20-million-homes-in-the-dark-warn-labour/
- Seven benefit assessors jailed over £1m housing benefit fraud https://welfareweekly.com/seven-benefit-assessors-jailed-over-1m-housing-benefit-fraud/
- Disabled children ‘treated as outsiders’ when it comes to sport https://welfareweekly.com/disabled-children-treated-as-outsiders-when-it-comes-to-sport/
- Universal Credit split payments given to only 20 claimants https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-split-payments-given-to-only-20-claimants/
- Disabled man ‘wasting away’ after DWP stopped his £700 a month disability benefits https://welfareweekly.com/disabled-man-wasting-away-after-dwp-stopped-his-700-a-month-disability-benefits/
- Universal Credit ‘causing hardship and emotional distress’, says mental health charity https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-causing-hardship-and-emotional-distress-says-mental-health-charity/
- Thousands turned away from benefit assessments due to staff shortages https://welfareweekly.com/thousands-turned-away-from-benefit-assessments-due-to-staff-shortages/
- Only 18% of households hit by the ‘cruel’ benefit cap are able to work https://welfareweekly.com/only-18-of-households-hit-by-the-cruel-benefit-cap-are-able-to-work/
- UN calls on Tories to scrap ‘perverse’ two-child benefit cap and rape clause https://welfareweekly.com/un-calls-on-tories-to-scrap-perverse-two-child-benefit-cap-and-rape-clause/
- Child benefit changes cost struggling families £450 a year, says Unison https://welfareweekly.com/child-benefit-changes-cost-struggling-families-450-a-year-says-unison/
- Benefit changes driving demand for NHS mental health services, report says https://welfareweekly.com/benefit-changes-driving-demand-for-nhs-mental-health-services-report-says/
- End the benefits freeze to save 200,000 people from poverty, Tories told https://welfareweekly.com/end-the-benefits-freeze-to-save-200000-people-from-poverty-tories-told/
- Appeal court victory for disabled EU benefit claimants https://welfareweekly.com/appeal-court-victory-for-disabled-eu-benefit-claimants/
- Pension Credit changes could cost pensioners other benefits, charity warns https://welfareweekly.com/pension-credit-changes-could-cost-pensioners-other-benefits-charity-warns/
- Autistic boy denied a proper education for a year due to council failings https://welfareweekly.com/autistic-boy-denied-a-proper-education-for-a-year-due-council-failings/
Founded on #4opens and moderated by an ethical code of conduct. Its a safe space for Campaigning and NGO groups to access their members via #openweb projects.
"We can't engage as communities, unless we have money. I can't even express how angry this makes me."
- an activist group using Facebook. People and organisations who feel this way are our initial targets.
We are launching two new Mastodon instances for activists and campaigners to aid communication of grassroot groups; putting social media back in our hands by providing a free, unfettered home for campaigners, NGO’s and activists to communicate among their peers and beyond.
This project is a way out of the restricted, algorithmic, for-profit mediation and commercialisation of communication we increasingly experience. If you do not pay to "boost" each post, a Facebook page will only reach 3-6% of members. This soon becomes an expensive drain on limited NGO and activist budgets.
Activists and campaigners alike are ready to shift their outreach away from the corporate social networks paid-per-view “walled gardens”.
Mastodon is the worlds largest free open source decentralised microblogging network; it’s thousands of unique, interconnected communities, filled with different people, interests, languages, and needs.
You’re free to join any community you like, or better yet, host your own, on your own terms. It remains possible for members of each to instance to interact with others.
There is no monopoly by a single commercial company, no ads, and no tracking.
We aim to help activism/campaigning groups to make this step now.
A note on Security and Privacy - these take a somewhat different shape within the #openweb. Have a read about our thoughts on the matter.