- Disabled woman left with just 47p after DWP wrongly stopped her benefits https://welfareweekly.com/disabled-woman-left-with-just-47p-after-dwp-wrongly-stopped-her-benefits/
- Universal Credit blamed for rising levels of benefit fraud and error https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-blamed-for-rising-levels-of-benefit-underpayments/
- Charity warns of social care ‘rationing’ as funding cuts reach £7.7bn https://welfareweekly.com/charity-warns-of-social-care-rationing-as-funding-cuts-reach-7-7bn/
- Two-child benefit limit is pushing families deeper into poverty... https://welfareweekly.com/two-child-benefit-limit-is-pushing-families-deeper-into-poverty-and-forcing-women-to-consider-abortions/
- MP slams ‘shameful’ treatment of asylum seekers granted sanctua... https://welfareweekly.com/mp-slams-shameful-treatment-of-asylum-seekers-granted-sanctuary-in-the-uk/
- Scotland announce new £10 benefit to help tackle rising child p... https://welfareweekly.com/scotland-announce-new-10-benefit-to-help-tackle-rising-child-poverty/
- Tory pledge to consult disabled people on reforming the benefit... https://welfareweekly.com/government-to-consult-disabled-people-on-reforming-the-benefits-system/
- £12.8bn needed every year to end England’s housing crisis https://welfareweekly.com/12-8bn-needed-every-year-to-end-englands-housing-crisis/
- Dying people forced to wait for Universal Credit are turning to food banks https://welfareweekly.com/dying-people-forced-to-wait-for-universal-credit-are-turning-to-food-banks/
- Benefit claimants should be ‘washed and sterilised’ https://welfareweekly.com/benefit-claimants-should-be-washed-and-sterilised/
- DWP secret review into the death of six stone Stephen Smith ‘followed policy’ https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-secret-review-into-the-death-of-six-stone-stephen-smith-followed-policy/
- UK Government told ‘homelessness is not a crime’ https://welfareweekly.com/uk-government-told-homelessness-is-not-a-crime/
- 80 charities issue formal complaint against ‘misleading’ DWP Universal Credit adverts https://welfareweekly.com/80-charities-issue-formal-complaint-against-misleading-dwp-universal-credit-adverts/
- Benefit sanctions should not be imposed on military veterans https://welfareweekly.com/benefit-sanctions-should-not-be-imposed-on-military-veterans/
- DWP chiefs handed £17k bonus bonanza as thousands turn to food banks https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-chiefs-handed-17k-bonus-bonanza-as-thousands-turn-to-food-banks/
- Jeremy Hunt paved the way to scrapping blanket free TV licences for over 75s https://welfareweekly.com/jeremy-hunt-paved-the-way-to-scrapping-blanket-free-tv-licences-for-over-75s/
- Sure Start cuts leave vulnerable children at risk of abuse and neglect https://welfareweekly.com/sure-start-cuts-leave-vulnerable-children-at-risk-of-abuse-and-neglect/
- Vulnerable children removed from foster carers who wanted to adopt them https://welfareweekly.com/vulnerable-children-removed-from-foster-carers-who-wanted-to-adopt-them/
- Nearly half of Universal Credit claimants have money deducted for advance payments https://welfareweekly.com/nearly-half-of-universal-credit-claimants-have-money-deducted-for-advance-payments/
- Child poverty campaigners welcome Supreme Court housing benefit victory https://welfareweekly.com/child-poverty-campaigners-welcome-supreme-court-housing-benefit-victory/
- Outrage as BBC scraps blanket free TV licences for over 75s https://welfareweekly.com/outrage-as-bbc-scraps-blanket-free-tv-licences-for-over-75s/
- Labour vows to put social justice at the heart of everything they do https://welfareweekly.com/labour-vows-to-put-social-justice-at-the-heart-of-everything-they-do/
- Chronically ill father hung himself after cruel DWP stopped his benefits, inquest told https://welfareweekly.com/chronically-ill-father-hung-himself-after-cruel-dwp-stopped-his-benefits-inquest-told/
- Esther McVey’s claim that UK disability benefits are ‘generous’ has been firmly debunked https://welfareweekly.com/esther-mcveys-claim-that-uk-disability-benefits-are-generous-has-been-firmly-debunked/
- Reverse benefit cuts to lift more than 700,000 children out of poverty, report says https://welfareweekly.com/reverse-benefit-cuts-to-lift-more-than-700000-children-out-of-poverty-report-says/
- Scottish Government lauch £250 ‘Best Start Grant’ to help struggling parents https://welfareweekly.com/scottish-government-lauch-250-best-start-grant-to-help-struggling-parents/
Founded on #4opens and moderated by an ethical code of conduct. Its a safe space for Campaigning and NGO groups to access their members via #openweb projects.
"We can't engage as communities, unless we have money. I can't even express how angry this makes me."
- an activist group using Facebook. People and organisations who feel this way are our initial targets.
We are launching two new Mastodon instances for activists and campaigners to aid communication of grassroot groups; putting social media back in our hands by providing a free, unfettered home for campaigners, NGO’s and activists to communicate among their peers and beyond.
This project is a way out of the restricted, algorithmic, for-profit mediation and commercialisation of communication we increasingly experience. If you do not pay to "boost" each post, a Facebook page will only reach 3-6% of members. This soon becomes an expensive drain on limited NGO and activist budgets.
Activists and campaigners alike are ready to shift their outreach away from the corporate social networks paid-per-view “walled gardens”.
Mastodon is the worlds largest free open source decentralised microblogging network; it’s thousands of unique, interconnected communities, filled with different people, interests, languages, and needs.
You’re free to join any community you like, or better yet, host your own, on your own terms. It remains possible for members of each to instance to interact with others.
There is no monopoly by a single commercial company, no ads, and no tracking.
We aim to help activism/campaigning groups to make this step now.