- Nearly 900,000 Scottish households are living in fuel poverty https://welfareweekly.com/nearly-900000-scottish-households-are-living-in-fuel-poverty/
- More than 1 in 4 Universal Credit claimants hit by deductions for tax credit errors https://welfareweekly.com/more-than-1-in-4-universal-credit-claimants-hit-by-deductions-for-tax-credit-errors/
- Poorest Brits bear the brunt of Tory benefit changes as incomes continue to fall https://welfareweekly.com/poorest-brits-bear-the-brunt-of-tory-benefit-changes-as-incomes-are-slashed/
- Universal Credit: Family of terminally ill girl struggling to make ends meet https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-family-of-terminally-ill-girl-struggling-to-make-ends-meet/
- LibDem council refuses to accept responsibility for housing homeless domestic violence victim https://welfareweekly.com/libdem-council-refuses-to-accept-responsibility-for-housing-homeless-domestic-violence-victim/
- DWP under fire over refusal to backdate Universal Credit claims https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-under-fire-over-refusal-to-backdate-universal-credit-claims/
- More than half of DLA claimants see mobility payments slashed when moved to PIP https://welfareweekly.com/more-than-half-of-dla-claimants-see-mobility-payments-slashed-when-moved-to-pip/
- Universal Credit staff stage second walkout over working conditions https://welfareweekly.com/universal-credit-staff-stage-second-walkout-over-working-conditions/
- Free social care for over-65s would save the NHS £4.5bn a year https://welfareweekly.com/free-social-care-for-over-65s-would-save-the-nhs-4-5bn-a-year/
- Tories accused of ‘deliberate dismantling of the welfare state’ https://welfareweekly.com/tories-accused-of-deliberate-dismantling-of-the-welfare-state/
- Tories ‘doubling down on anti-poor policies’, says damning UN report https://welfareweekly.com/tories-doubling-down-on-anti-poor-policies-says-damning-un-report/
- ‘I’ve been crying my eyes out’: Universal Credit ‘error’ left disabled man hungry and penniless https://welfareweekly.com/ive-been-crying-my-eyes-out-universal-credit-error-left-disabled-man-hungry-and-penniless/
- DWP review into the death of six-stone Stephen Smith will be held in secret https://welfareweekly.com/dwp-review-into-death-of-six-stone-stephen-smith-will-be-held-in-secret/
- Children with learning disabilities ‘locked away’ in mental health hospitals https://welfareweekly.com/children-with-learning-disabilities-locked-away-in-mental-health-hospitals/
- How a devoted husband took on the DWP and WON! https://welfareweekly.com/how-a-devoted-husband-took-on-the-dwp-and-won/
- Tory welfare cuts breach international human rights laws, says watchdog https://welfareweekly.com/tory-welfare-cuts-breach-international-human-rights-laws-says-watchdog/
- Hundreds of vulnerable and mentally ill children ‘locked up by the state’ because councils lack sufficient funding https://welfareweekly.com/hundreds-of-vulnerable-and-mentally-ill-children-locked-up-by-the-state-because-councils-lack-sufficient-funding/
- 82% of households hit by the Tories’ callous benefit cap are unable to work https://welfareweekly.com/82-of-households-hit-by-the-tories-callous-benefit-cap-are-unable-to-work/
- Outrage as homeless people are refused social housing due to benefit cuts https://welfareweekly.com/outrage-as-homeless-people-are-refused-social-housing-due-to-benefit-cuts/
- Child poverty is becoming the ‘new normal’ in parts of Britain https://welfareweekly.com/child-poverty-is-becoming-the-new-normal-in-parts-of-britain/
- Pension credit cuts will leave some of the poorest pensioners up to £7,000 worse off https://welfareweekly.com/pension-credit-cuts-will-leave-some-of-the-poorest-pensioners-up-to-7000-worse-off/
Founded on #4opens and moderated by an ethical code of conduct. Its a safe space for Campaigning and NGO groups to access their members via #openweb projects.
"We can't engage as communities, unless we have money. I can't even express how angry this makes me."
- an activist group using Facebook. People and organisations who feel this way are our initial targets.
We are launching two new Mastodon instances for activists and campaigners to aid communication of grassroot groups; putting social media back in our hands by providing a free, unfettered home for campaigners, NGO’s and activists to communicate among their peers and beyond.
This project is a way out of the restricted, algorithmic, for-profit mediation and commercialisation of communication we increasingly experience. If you do not pay to "boost" each post, a Facebook page will only reach 3-6% of members. This soon becomes an expensive drain on limited NGO and activist budgets.
Activists and campaigners alike are ready to shift their outreach away from the corporate social networks paid-per-view “walled gardens”.
Mastodon is the worlds largest free open source decentralised microblogging network; it’s thousands of unique, interconnected communities, filled with different people, interests, languages, and needs.
You’re free to join any community you like, or better yet, host your own, on your own terms. It remains possible for members of each to instance to interact with others.
There is no monopoly by a single commercial company, no ads, and no tracking.
We aim to help activism/campaigning groups to make this step now.